Monday, January 2, 2012

Tomorrow It Begins



That's right folks: the curly girl cha-cha starts tomorrow! The old T-gel, Herbal Essences conditioner and gel, and my hairbrush have been thrown away. I'm removing the temptation, that way I have to stick to the Curly Girl method for at least until the products I bought today have run out.
 
I traveled back to school today and finished unpacking earlier than I expected. I decided to brave Wal-Mart to go purchase my supplies. This was quite a feat, as I go to school in a little town in Idaho and Wal-Mart becomes very crowded the first week of the semester. I figured that many people would be flooding the aisles for notebooks or hangers, but I was quite surprised with how busy the shampoo aisle was. It made it quite hard to search down my needed products.

I found a list of suggested products for the curly girl method at this blog. I wrote down a couple before heading out to fight the crowds. I did stop in at Sally Beauty Supply first, which is right next to our Wal-Mart, but I was shocked to find that there weren't that many good products there (and the prices--whew! I would have to sell my first and second born children in order to purchase anything from there).

Speaking of prices, the products I picked met the criteria for curly girl method, and they fit my criteria for being affordable. I am the epitome of the starving student and I knew that I would need to find products that would fit within my budget but still work. The total amount of my purchase was around $13. At first, I thought that was a little pricey, but then I thought about how the prices of my previous T-gel, conditioner and gel combined equal about that same amount, so that made me feel a bit better.

By know you're probably wondering which products I decided to go with. Well, here they are:


For the conditioner, I chose Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Conditioner. Let's hope it works as good as it smells. I've been a fan of the Burt's Bees chapstick for a while, so I thought I would try the conditioner. Knowing my hair, I knew I would need some sort of gel, so I purchased the Got2B Spiked-Up Gel. I've used this gel before and it is actually pretty good. And of course, I now own a wide tooth comb, which was actually a part of my Christmas present from my sister, so that one was free!

Now that I have the right products and tools, I'm ready for the curly girl cha-cha (hee hee, I love saying that!). I'll probably do an update on how it is going every week, so expect another curly girl update next Monday. But during the week, I may update the blog with something about curly hair (like my "It's a Love/Hate Thing post) or something completely random (*see bottom of the post). So keep following, and feel free to comment or leave questions.

Here is a before picture. As you can see my curls aren't so bad from the front...


...but then you get to the side and the back, and that's where it goes downhill. I couldn't get a good angle from behind, but trust me, just take this side view, lessen the curls down to barely a wave and you've got the back of my head.
Oh, the Curly Girl method steps I am following are located here.

*Song of the Week: I love listening to music, so every week I'm going to post one of my favorite songs. Now, I have quite a random taste in music, and most of the songs on here won't be recent releases. You may have heard some of them, you may not have heard others. But I hope to give you a little bit of a glimpse at who I am through one of my hobbies.

Use Somebody-Laura Jansen:
I found this song over the summer and I still can't get enough of it. The Kings of Leon are great musicians, but Laura takes their lyrics and makes it into a beautiful ballad.

No comments:

Post a Comment