Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Curly Girl Method: Week #1

First off, so sorry for not doing this update yesterday. I got sick over the weekend; yesterday I went to the doctor and found out I have a sinus infection. It's weird, but I envy people who just get colds, because my colds always turn into sinus infections.

Anyway, I figured today would be better for an update.

I have to say, I am loving the Curly Girl Method! My hair is no longer frizzy, and you can actually tell that I have curls. Here are some pictures of my hair:

I have to point out my new favorite accessory: My acorn necklace. I do seasonal work at a DownEast Basics in Salt Lake City. This is one of the necklaces that we sell and I when I saw it, I knew that I would have to buy it. Why? Because it's like the kiss that Peter gives to Wendy in Peter Pan (my favorite book).


As you can see, especially the side and back of my hair is doing a lot better under the Curly Girl Method.

There are a few things that I find difficult, though. First, you aren't allowed to dry your hair with a normal towel, and you can only squeeze our excess water with an old T-shirt. Now, the reason why this is so hard for me is I hate having my hair be dripping wet when the rest of me is completely dry. It completely defeats the purpose of drying off. Although I do squeeze out the excess water, it still drips and I hate it! Also, because I am used to towel-drying my hair, it's hard to change that habit. I've had a couple of close calls, but whenever the towel gets close to my head, I can almost hear my hair screaming, "NO! DON'T DO IT! THINK OF THE FRIZZ!"

I can also hear it saying this whenever I go to play with my hair when it is still wet. Doing so makes it frizzy. Once you put in the gel and style it, you have to let it be. Well, can I just say that this has been one of the hardest parts of this process. I rustle my hair when I get nervous or am day-dreaming, so it's been hard not to do that. I feel like there needs to be a hair rustling support group for people like me ("Hi, I'm Chelsea and I'm a hair rustler").

But, giving up some of these habits is definitely worth it. My hair doesn't look like a family of rats lives in it. It has only been one week, so I hope that it keeps getting better.

Song of the Week: Flight-Sutton Foster and Megan McGinnis

I have a confession to make. I love Broadway music. Sutton Foster is probably my third favorite female Broadway actress (First is tied between Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel). I was listening to one of her songs from Anything Goes on Youtube and I found this beautiful song. She and Megan McGinnis were in the stage production of Little Women, and I was excited to see that they did another song together. This song just makes me feel like I'm flying, and the harmonizing is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment