Saturday, February 18, 2012

Curly Craft Circle: Wall Tiles

I decided that a little crafty creativity was long overdue and would help me unwind from the stress that is life.

I've been meaning to do this craft for about a year now. I mean I have literally had 75% of the supplies for over a year, I just kept putting it off.

The bigger panels were not made by me. I purchased them at Wal-Mart, but they could probably be re-created with the same process I use for the tiles, just with a bigger base
I bought a four-piece coaster set from my local craft store near the end of 2010. My plan was to modge podge pictures onto them and hang them on my wall as tiles.

I then tried to decide what pictures I wanted to put on the coasters. I love classic films (as you can see). I love the spectacle, the romance, the song-and-dance numbers. So, I got some snapshots from some of my favorite classic films, did a little photoshop magic, and voila! I was ready to get out my jar of modge podge.

Price wise, this is about $10. I can't remember how much the coasters were because I bought them on sale, but the price tag on the container said they were usually $6. I spent a little over $1 to print off the photos, but I get a pretty good deal at my school's copy spot.

Time-wise, photoshopping the pictures took the longest. All I did was take the photo, make a black-and-white layer, and then erase part of that layer to bring back the color.

The modge podge part took about 15 minutes total.

I'm pleased with the finished product, but I think I need to do a few more so that it looks a little better. And I think I want to glue them into some sort of frame. Right now, they are just sticky-tacked onto my wall.

And I do love how they go with my Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe panels.

Photos (left to right): "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," "White Christmas," "Singing in the Rain," and "Easter Parade."



No comments:

Post a Comment