Saturday, March 17, 2012

Curly Culinary Corner: Dang Delicious Brownies!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. School has been busy, but I've also been substituting for the teacher I T.A. for. I absolutely love teaching and I love that my job gives me that opportunity.

My hair hasn't really changed since my last update. Still using the curly girl method, still haven't gotten it cut. Hopefully soon though!

This post is a little different. I made some really good brownies last night and I thought I would share the recipe.There were much needed for my roommates and I; we had a single girls' night where we got in our pajamas, ate brownies and watched the last two Twilight movies (one of my roommates hadn't seen them. We thought she would enjoy watching something extremely cheesy and easy to make fun of). I used one recipe from one site for the brownies, and another recipe from another for the frosting. So here is the combined recipe. It's kind of weird because you mix it all together in a saucepan, but I'm telling you, these were probably the best brownies I have ever eaten.


Dang Delicious Brownies with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

3/4 cup butter (the recipe called for shortening, but I didn't have any)
3/4 cup cocoa 
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan (I didn't have a 9x13, so I used an 8x11). Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the cocoa powder and stir until well incorporated, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar and vanilla. Stir in one egg at a time. Add the flour, baking powder and salt until well mixed. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

Beat together butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Sift in cocoa powder and beat until smooth. Add in milk and vanilla, along with about 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar. Mix at medium speed until very smooth. Add additional confectioners’ sugar as needed until frosting is thick, smooth and spreadable. If it becomes too thick, just add a little more milk.

These brownies aren't the healthiest things ever, but let's be honest, if you're eating a brownie, you're not doing it to be healthy. : )

2 comments:

  1. Any leftovers? I'll take care of them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, unfortunately having any amount of chocolate in an apartment of six girls leads to no leftovers ever. :)

    ReplyDelete